Liquor License

You can get an application to obtain a liquor license at the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department, Alcoholic Beverage Control Division website. You may also call them at 505-476-4875 to receive more information.

Public Hearing

Upon receiving preliminary approval from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Division Director, the Town Clerk will contact you to schedule a public hearing for the Town Council to consider your liquor license application. The Notice of Public Hearing must be published twice in the Taos News (paid by the applicant). The first notice must be publicized at least thirty (30) days before the hearing. Both publications must occur before the Town can conduct a public hearing.  

License Approval

If the license is approved by the Council, you may hand-deliver the application to the Alcoholic Beverage Control Division to obtain your license, or the Town Clerk can mail the application to the Alcoholic Beverage Control Division on your behalf.  

License Tax

Once you receive your New Mexico State issued license, you must submit a copy to the Town Clerk’s Office (located at 400 Camino de la Placita, Taos, NM 87571) and pay the Municipal Liquor License Tax of $250. The tax may be pro-rated quarterly, depending on when the final approval occurred.