Planning, Community & Economic development
The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for the administration of the Town's Land Use Development Code policies and zoning regulations as well as the provision of technical expertise to the community in an effort to foster the sustainable growth of the Town.
Our goal is to offer consistent, courteous, high-quality service to the citizens and business community of the Town of Taos by providing a one-stop shop for planning, zoning and building permitting that facilitates and guides the physical growth of the Town in order to enhance the collective quality of life of Town residents and to ensure safe, healthy, and quality development.
- The Planning and Zoning Department informs and works with the Planning and Zoning Commission as well as the Town Council by conducting researching and making policy recommendations on a wide variety of land use issues within the Town and greater region.
- The Planning Division reviews and processes all development applications to ensure all zoning standards have been achieved prior to approval, and if applicable for submission to the NM Construction Industries for building permits. Planning recommends changes to the Land Use Development Code (LUDC), prepares long range planning documents and provides guidance with the implementation of those plans.
- The Planning Division reviews and issues all business registrations, Short-Term-Rental licenses and Sign Permits.
Permit Application Processing
In an effort to better serve our customers, the Planning Department has instituted the following procedures and guidelines to ensure the efficient processing of all permit applications:
- Please allow a minimum of 5 days for the processing of all applications.
- Applications will be processed in the order received.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.